Tempus Fugit

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Age-Old Courting


-
-

It started with a glance.
With a lot of it, for that matter.
Pulling me into a duel
Where I started out as an 
Unwilling participant.

It continued with more glances.
Still with lots of it.
Burning me with an 
Invisible fire only
The two of us can feel.

The glances stopped.
Things went a notch further.
But I didn't initiate it.
The countless glances were for that.
So, I waited like a hunter waits for his prey.

Now's the time to mention
The other dueler.
The one who clearly tries so hard
To mark the territory that 
Unfortunately, desires the hunter.

That's when the eye daggers
Started hitting me.
Cold, blunt and direct.
But what can a mere dog who marks his 
Territory do against a hunter who has mastered the craft?

Nothing.

Exactly.

The inevitable happened.
The prey went for the bait.
As expected.
Clueless and Ignorant.
The time has come to finish this off.

With a smile and more quick glances
I sealed the deal.
I didn't do it.
It was the prey who did it.
But we really know who did it, right?

The loser dog left
And stated licking his wounds.
I can't blame the dog.
It didn't know what it was up against.
Like the prey, the dog was clueless.
-
-
*Picture from http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/6000/6021/fencing_6_lg.gif


No comments:

Post a Comment